Snowmobiling is a Lake County staple and is an awesome way to get some fresh air while it is cold outside. Below are a few highlights of places to go to get the full snowmobiling experience in Lake County.
The North Shore State Trail is a premier snowmobiling trail in northern Minnesota. There are over 140 miles of trails to ride on and cuts through the backwoods of the North Shore as well as bringing you close to Lake Superior. The trail has many access points along it for snowmobilers to get on and ride. There are access points in Two Harbors, Gooseberry Falls State Park, Tettegouche State Park, Finland, and Schroeder. For more information about the North Shore State Trail refer to this map.
If you are in need of a rental, there are plenty of places in Lake County to get a snowmobile rental.
Check out these photos of what it is like to snowmobile in Lake County!
State Trail Parking
- Duluth parking area: Martin Road lot, at the northern edge of Duluth city limits.
- Normanna Road parking area: west of County Road 44.
- Alger Grade parking area: 9 miles north of Two Harbors on County Road 2.
- Silver Bay parking area: located on Superior National Forest Road #11, 7 miles west of Silver Bay.
- Finland parking area: 2 miles north of Finland, on County Road 7.
- Sawbill Trail parking area: small parking area located 5 miles north of Tofte on the Sawbill Trail (County Road 2).
- Caribou Trail parking area: 7 miles north of Lutsen on the Caribou Trail (County Road 4).